April 17, 2021

Motorcycle/ATV Insurance FAQ's

Q: What makes insuring my motorcycle different from insuring my car?
  • Risk - We all know that riding a motorcycle carries different risks than driving a car. That means special coverage protections that reflect that risk - and rewards, in terms of discounts, for safety features and safe riding.
  • Type of Vehicle - Riding a Harley isn't the same as riding a sport bike or ATV. Your insurance coverages reflect the safety features of your bike, it's potential costs of repair in case of an accident or covered loss, and of course, the value of your investment - including what may be required by your bank or financing company.
  • Leased or Financed Vehicles - If you're looking to insure a leased or financed motorcycle, you may be required to carry collision or comprehensive coverage. When you've paid off your bike, you can lower your motorcycle insurance premiums if you drop or reduce collision or comprehensive.

Q: What is the law in the US regarding motorcycle insurance?
A: Each state requires minimum bodily injury and property damage liability limits to be purchased for motorcycles.

Q: What are surcharges?
A: Surcharges can be assessed by carriers for many situations. These include young riders, riders with little experience, credit challenged riders, riders with tickets or accidents or riders who have to purchase custom insurance.

Q: What exactly is liability insurance?
A: There are two types of liability insurance for motorcycles - bodily injury and property damage.

Q: What is bodily injury liability?
A: Bodily Injury Liability insurance covers you in case you injure or cause the death of another person.

Q: What is property damage liability?
A: Property Damage Liability covers you in case you cause the damage or destroy another's property.

Q: What is collision coverage?
A: Collision coverage kicks in when your bike is damaged or destroyed by hitting another vehicle. It will also pay for damage to your motorcycle if you hit an object like a building or a tree.

Q: What is medical payment coverage and how is that different from bodily injury coverage?
A: The medical expenses of you or any injured passenger will be paid up to the policy limit if you select this coverage. It is different than liability because it is not paid out on the other injured parties. It is paid out to you.

Q: What is roadside assistance coverage?
A: Roadside assistance covers you if your motorcycle breaks down. The coverage pays for towing to the closest repair facility. It will also pay for any necessary repairs that need to be made on the scene.

Q: What is coverage for uninsured or underinsured motorists bodily injury?

Covers you, the insured members of your household and your passengers for bodily/personal injuries, damages, or death caused by an at-fault uninsured or hit-and-run driver. If you are involved in an accident where the other driver is at fault but has no insurance, your policy will cover your medical expenses, up to the limit on your policy.

Q: What is accessory or custom parts coverage?
A: This coverage takes care of the items not included as standard by the motorcycle manufacturer. This can include but not be limited to the following:
  • Fairings
  • Sissy bar
  • Safety guards
  • Highway pegs
  • Crash/Roll bars
  • Radios
  • CB's
  • Custom seats
  • Luggage racks
  • And more...

Q: What if I have a collector's bike?
A: You may want to consider agreed value coverage. This means that your insurance will pay out up to the value placed on the motorcycle when you bought the policy instead of cash value for the bike.