August 20, 2019

RV Insurance FAQ's

Q: What is the difference between RVs and Travel Trailers?
A: Motor Homes are motorized recreation vehicles that provide you with temporary living quarters and are permanently attached to a chassis or van. Travel Trailers and Campers are non motorized, portable units designed to provide you with living quarters for recreational and camping use.

Q: What is the difference between Full-timers and Part-timers?
  • Part-timers who use their RV on an occaisional basis
  • Full-timers who live in their RV or claim it as a primary residence will need full-timers coverage, which includes protection against injuries in and around the RV, personal liability coverage, personal items coverage and more.

Q: What is Permanently Attached Items Coverage?
A: Items permanently attached to the RV are covered, including tow kits, wheelchair lifts, satellite dishes, etc.

Q: What is RV Replacement Cost Coverage?
A: If your RV is totaled or stolen and not recovered, you will be reimbursed with a new, comparably-equipped RV.

Q: What is Personal Items Coverage?
A: Many insurers offer $3,000 or more for personal items damaged, lost or stolen by a covered event, usually at no additional charge.

Q: What is the difference between Market Value, Agreed Value, and Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price RV Insurance Coverages?
  • Market Value - A base policy that pays you the actual cash value of your RV at the time of its loss.
  • Agreed Value - Pays an amount you define when you purchase your policy, regardless of the current value of your RV at the time it is totaled.
  • Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price - Pays for the replacement of your totaled RV with a current-year-model if your RV is totaled within 5 years of its manufacture. If your RV is more than 5 years old at the time it is totaled, you will receive the original purchase price. Coverage only applies to brand new models

Q: Can I cancel my RV insurance when I am not using it?
A: Yes, you have the option to cancel the RV insurance when you are not using it. However, it my not be the best option. Lapses in coverage can mean higher premiums. It is also more likely that your RV may be stolen when you are not using it. You also never know when you might get the urge to get on the road.

Q: How is RV Insurance different from Auto Insurance?

Insuring an RV with a typical auto policy will leave significant coverage gaps. RV's should be insured with a specialized policy which covers things an auto insurance policy would not cover, such as:

  • Total Loss Replacement - Applicable to buyers of new RV's in the first five model years. It replaces the RV with a similar unit, even if the replacement costs more than the original. This coverage is a good protection against steep RV depreciation, in case of total loss.
  • Replacement Cost of Personal Belongings - RV policies give you the option to specify a limit to include all of your personal belongings destroyed by most events, whereas auto policies only cover a limited amount of content in a vehicle.
  • Full-timer Liability - Offers liability coverage similar to homeowner's insurance when the RV is parked and is used as a residence. The coverage includes emergency treatment and medical expenses for others injured in or around your RV.
  • Campsite Liability - Similar to full-timer liability. However it is geared towards short-term vacationers.
  • Emergency Expenses - Reimburses for expenses such as lodging, meals, and travel for living outside the RV while it is being repaired as long as the covered loss occurs a set number of miles from your fixed residence (usually about 50 miles).
  • Higher Liability Limits - RV insurance  offers significantly higher liability limits than auto insurance. Most RV's are much larger than cars and  have the potential to cause a significant amount of damage. Higher limits provide greater financial protection after an unfortunate incident.