Earthquake Insurance

Earthquake insurance is a form of property insurance that pays the policyholder in the event of an earthquake that causes damage to the property. Most ordinary homeowners insurance policies do not cover earthquake loss. Your home purchase is an investment deserving the full protection, including earthquake damages, that only an experienced insurance professional can provide.

Earthquake insurance covers for...
  • Homeowners, including mobilehome owners
  • Condo, townhouse, two unit, three unit and four unit properties
What is covered?
  • Repair earthquake damage to your home
  • Replace personal property that is damaged or destroyed by an earthquake
  • Pay for living expenses if you are unable to live in your home after an earthquake
  • Pay for emergency repairs to prevent future damage
  • Many earthquake policies place special limits on certain types of Other Structures, Personal Property and Loss of Use

Note: Earthquake coverage can vary from one company to another. Review your policy for your specific coverage limits.

Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Comprehensive Earthquake Insurance Policy?

Comprehensive Earthquake Insurance policies offer broad protection for your dwelling, other structures, personal property, and additional living expenses.

What is a Standard Earthquake Insurance Policy?

A Standard Earthquake Insurance policy is designed to provide protection for the dwelling with limited coverage for your personal possessions and additional living expenses.

How much earthquake insurance do I need?

To determine the minimum amount of earthquake insurance you should consider, we would need to estimate what it may cost to rebuild your home after an earthquake. Additionally, costs are estimated for other structures, contents and loss of use.

What does an Earthquake Insurance policy provide?
  • Repair, or in the event of a total loss, replacement cost, of an insured home when damage exceeds the policy's deductible, up to the policy limit.
  • If you cannot live in your home after an earthquake, you may be eligible for additional living expenses up to your policy limit.
  • After the deductible has been met by covered damage to your home, the policy will replace personal property such as furniture and household items, up to your policy limit.
Will the Earthquake Insurance policy pay for emergency repairs?

Yes. Once damage has exceeded the policy's deductible, the policy covers reasonable emergency repairs in an amount up to 5% of the insured value of the home as part of the dwelling limit of insurance. It also covers debris-removal costs in an amount up to 5% of the insured value of the home as additional insurance.

Does my policy cover building code upgrades?

Yes. In addition to providing funds for repairing or replacing your home, the base policy includes up to an additional $10,000 in Building Code Upgrade coverage.

What about my land? Is that covered too?

Your policy will pay up to $10,000 (as part of the dwelling limit of insurance), including engineering costs, to replace, stabilize or restore the land that supports your home. (The policy does not provide any other coverage for land or landscaping.)

How much does Earthquake Insurance cost?

Premiums are based on certain factors, including where you live and the age, construction type, number of stories, and insured value of your home.

What is not covered by my Earthquake Insurance Policy?
  • Detached garages and most other structures that are not part of the dwelling itself.
  • Land damage other than $10,000 in coverage for land stabilization.
  • Swimming pools and spas.
  • Awnings and patio coverings.
  • Fences.
  • Certain decorative or artistic items such as mirrors, chandeliers, stained glass, or mosaics.
  • Landscaping and irrigation systems.
  • Antennas and satellite dishes.
  • Patios, decks, walkways, and driveways not needed for pedestrian or disabled access to your home.
  • Plaster, to the extent that the repair cost exceeds the value of drywall.
  • Exterior masonry veneer (with the exception of stucco, which is covered).
  • Damage caused in whole or in part by causes other than earthquakes, such as fire during or following an earthquake (in most cases, fire damage is covered by you homeowners insurance policy); water damage resulting from floods or surface water; power failures; explosions; or non-seismic land sliing.
  • Certain categories of personal property, including glasswaare, crystal, porcelain, artwork, motor vehicles, boats, and trailers.